27 June 2010

Cleaning the Pantry

I'm moving to a new apartment in less than two weeks. Despite it only being 8 miles away, I still want to consume the foods that I have on hand so I don't have to rush perishables and frozen goods from here to there and worry about it going bad! (Maybe that's just an excuse to eat my kitchen clean, haha.)


So, for the past few weeks I've been food shopping very very little, only getting things like spinach or soy milk - things I go through quickly and eat regularly. Some stuff I still have yet to consume that I really need to are:


  • Frozen veggies
  • Trader Joe's Chili Lime Chicken Burgers (frozen, though I may try to pack those in a cooler because I doubt I can eat all 6 in the next week!)
  • Tofu
  • Carrots
  • Eggs
  • Carton of egg whites
  • Soy milk
  • Orange juice
  • Tofurky sausages
  • Greek yogurt
...and probably other stuff that I can't think of right now that's been sitting in my fridge/freezer for a while.


In an attempt to begin the pantry-purging, I made some vegetarian pot-pies earlier this week using some of the things from the aforementioned list (frozen veggies, tofu, soy milk).


Vegetarian Pot Pie
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition info here.

  • 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
  • 2/5 block of extra firm tofu
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tbsp low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened soy milk
  • 1 package Bird's Eye Steamfresh Mixed Vegetables

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 4 ramekins with non-stick spray and set aside.

Cook Bird's Eye vegetables according to instructions. Cut tofu into small cubes and toss with paprika until coated. Add remaining veggies and remaining ingredients (except puff pastry) and mix until combined.

Evenly distribute the mixture into the ramekins. Cut puff pastry into quarters (4 squares) and top each ramekin with one square. Cut a few slits (be creative how they look!) into the top of each puff pastry. Brush some egg white on top of each puff pastry (this isn't shown in the nutrition info).

Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.

Now, I think I need to get back to cleaning and packing. Luckily my mom is arriving on Tuesday (my dad arrives on Saturday) to help me finish up my packing and cleaning and to provide much-needed assistance with the move itself! Maybe they'll help me eat my food, too...!

No comments:

Post a Comment