10 April 2010

A Brunch For One

Leftovers comprise about 75% of the food I eat. I live by myself (for now) and because it's difficult to find single-serving recipes, I make batches of food and refrigerate/freeze the extra portions.

Last weekend I bought some sweet potatoes and Thursday night I realized if I didn't use them soon, they'd go bad. I cubed them, baked them with minced garlic and olive oil, and the pot of sweet potatoes sit in my fridge waiting to be used.

I used some of them in last night's recipe but have a lot left over! I've never had sweet potatoes as part of breakfast, so figured a good after-gym brunch was in order!

I recently bought ramekins... and by "recently" I mean "yesterday", haha. I was so excited to use them today!




Sweet Potato Brunch
Serves One

    1/2 cup cooked sweet potato, cubed
    2 tbsp salsa
    1 ounce part-skim mozzarella
    1 slice whole wheat bread (I baked this bread with whole wheat flour last night), cut into cubes
    1 egg

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a ramekin with non-stick spray. (I forgot to do this because I'm a moron and now I have a ramekin with cheese stuck to it. So, don't make my mistake!)

Put the cubed sweet potato and bread into the ramekin and top with salsa. Tap the ramekin on a hard surface a few times to distribute the salsa throughout. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 7 minutes. Remove foil, crack the egg on top of the mixture, and bake uncovered for another 5 minutes or until egg white is mostly cooked and yolk is still a bit runny (mine was getting pretty golden on top).

Top with cheese and bake until melted and golden, which took about 3 minutes for me.

Serve immediately!


Full nutrition information here.

No comments:

Post a Comment