13 April 2010

Overnight Failure

I wasn't prepared for disappointment this early in the morning. That pot with the brick-like object in the middle of a cloudy liquid? That's my crock pot as it was about 15 minutes ago this morning after an attempt at Overnight Oatmeal.


Epic fail indeed! About 85% of my steel-cut oats were nicely burned to the side of my crock pot, most of which was actually burned.

I was hoping that this morning I would be able to blog about how cooking oatmeal overnight is a great solution for those too lazy to make a nutritious breakfast in the morning. In the words of Borat... NOT! The only thing I did differently in this recipe was that my oats spent closer to 9 hours in the crock pot rather than 7-8, but 1/4 inch thick layer of burned oats doesn't just happen in one hour!


What to do, do? I need a quick breakfast with minimal effort!



Plain ol' oatmeal in the microwave.

1/2 cup quick-cook oats
1 cup water
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 packet Truvia
approx 2 tbsp Craisins
approx 2 tbsp chopped walnuts

Combine ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl, stir to combine, microwave for 2 minutes, and enjoy!

I'd consider this a learning experience, but I used the last bit of my steel-cut oats (which means I need to buy more) and the Overnight Oatmeal was supposed to yield 8 servings; that's 8 meals down the drain... literally!

Epic fail this early in the morning? Yikes. At least my last-minute oats were yummy.

1 comment:

  1. You know what does work overnight in the crock pot? Whole oat groats or whole wheat berries. Or both. Just don't give them more than 6 hours. Also, don't be afraid to add a few whole spices that will perfume the house - and the porridge - overnight. :) I've made the same mistake with steel cut oats before, too.

    Also, although I haven't tried it, I suspect that soaking steel cut oats overnight would drastically reduce the cooking time. Might need to use only enough water to be completely absorbed overnight (therefore requiring some experimentation), but I'm convinced it would work.

    I hope this is a little helpful.

    ReplyDelete