09 April 2010

A Welcoming Soup

I have a blog entitled Fast Food Facelift where I makeover fast food dishes in a healthy way. I love the blog and the comments and the followers of it, but I'm lacking inspiration and motivation to keep with such a stringent theme. That is why I've started this blog.

As you can see, despite just having created this blog today, I have imported all of my old posts from Fast Food Facelift. I still plan on and hope to continue making over dishes as I have done with my old blog, but I want to make them a feature of something bigger: my love of cooking (and my newly-found love of baking!) overall.

This new blog is called "Kitchen of a Lazy Girl" because I'm lazy and love to cook. A pretty accurate title, yes?

It is for this reason that I've entitled my first entry of this blog as I have: "A Welcoming Soup"

This soup is fragrant, which welcomes you to the kitchen. It has a great orange hue that invites your curiosity to taste it! It has a sweetness that welcomes you to enjoy it through the slightly spicy finish.

It's very multi-layered in taste and content, but it is extremely easy to make! I hope you all enjoy this soup as much as I did while creating (and eating!) it.


Sweet Potato Split Pea Soup
makes 2 servings

250g cooked cubed sweet potato
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup split peas (dried)
1/4 cup lentils (dried)
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cups hot water

Cook the sweet potato cubes however you see fit. (I simply peeled and cubed them, then put the cubes in the oven until done. I weighed the sweet potato cubes AFTER I cooked them!)

In a small pot, add the water to the lentils and peas. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes with the lid tilted to let off steam.

While the peas are cooking, process the sweet potatoes, garlic, and salsa in a food processor, blender, or immersion blender. When the peas are cooked thoroughly, add the spices and sweet potato mixture to the pot (do not drain the water). Stir to combine.

Raise heat to bring the soup to a boil, then lower to low, cover, and let it simmer for 5 minutes or until soup is thoroughly hot!

Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new blog! I added you to my feed. The new name and concept is right down my alley. I'm lazy myself... with a capital L.

    ReplyDelete